The process of building the Registry came to an almost complete stop. Site was crashing, logging in was almost impossible. Pages were loading extremely slow and I just didn’t know why. Did all the things that WordPress suggested in solving the issue. Deactivating plugin and reactivating them one at a time and it all seemed to point to Jetpack.
WordPress had had a recent update of Jetpack, however, I could not go back to a previous version, one that worked.
The last step in the process was to call my Host (NetworkSolutions). The gentleman that helped me was able to identify the issue fairly quickly (it seemed). I had been on the phone for an hour by the time it all started to come together. For some previous things I wanted to accomplish on this site I was moved to a Microsoft Server from a Unix Server. That seems to have come back to haunt me. The WordPress version I needed was different than what I could run on a Microsoft Server and the Jetpack version I had, would not run on the version of Word Press I had.
NetworkSolutions could move me back to Unix, however, there could be some loss of date as it wasn’t simply copying the site, moving the domain and restoring the site. I could spend hundred for them to do and hope for the best. I decided to take a week and think about it.
First step, removing Jetpack, it did not work the first time. It ended up taking me 3 tries to get Jetpack to remove completely enough to prevent the site from crash every time I tried to do something.
Yesterday, I installed two new plugins, one for Statistics and one to enable Social Media Sharing. The great part, is both work and both seems to work better and cleaner. I’am able to add faster, pages load faster and the analytics I get back are better. The sad part is I lost the data that came with the previous 30,000 hits and what pages where of most interest. So, I have to live with the 106 hits and 24 individual visitors.
The changes were not without issues. Configuring the new plugin’s were crazy. Pick the wrong thing and it works great while logged in. Not logged in, everything from script errors to error messages. As it was working on my computer, it was failing across the country.
This morning, looks great on my end, hope it does on your end also.
So off to adding more data, hoping future updates don’t cause more issues, it just don’t think I’ll be that luck, guess we will see.